Topband: 1809.2 kHz constant dashes

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:22:00 EST 2016

Hi Michael,

Been doing this (plotting on google earth) as each report comes in (which
is what I always do), but since most folks can only provide direction such
as N.W., or West, this provides very poor resolution, and some reports
provide headings that are nowhere close (totally miss the target area by
hundreds of miles).  At the moment the majority of the bearings are
crossing in Ohio, and based on what I'm seeing on the plots, it looks like
it's likely on a line South of I-70 as it crosses the state, and probably
more SE (toward West Virginia), than SW of Columbus.  Signal strength is
generally useless unless the signal strength is during daylight hours (due
to propagation) and also since most reports are from uncalibrated RX
antenna systems.

Triangulation via bearings is generally the way to go until you get boots
on the ground so to speak with a portable direction finding antenna.

I just got home and don't hear the "dasher", and W1AW is already booming in
this afternoon, so suspect this case is closed.  Most likely the problem
has already been discovered by the guilty party.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)