Topband: What have I done?

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 02:56:39 EST 2016

Hi Carl,

Does not appear anyone has answered you, so let me give it a quick shot
while between flights in Japan.  I'm somewhat confused with your final L
network configuration because you mentioned one capacitor, and then a
second capacitor without mentioning if you still had the first capacitor in
your configuration, etc.  You also did not mention what L network
configuration you used (see below).

Therefore I started from scratch to see what a 64 foot vertical wire would
look like at 7.050 Mhz to see what kind of L network would be required to
convert its impedance to a pure 50 ohms resistance.

Using EZNEC demo, I approximate a 64 foot vertical wire on 7.050 Mhz has an
input impedance of approximately 1274 +j1436 ohms when just using a ground
rod with medium soil (because this antenna has such a high input impedance
it really does not matter what I use for ground conductivity).

Then using an online L network calculator I come up with the following two
different L network configurations you could use to match to a 50 ohm
resistive source.

*L network with inductor between bottom of 64 foot vertical and ground.*
L = 10.18 uh
C = 59.9 pf

*L network with capacitor between bottom of 64 foot vertical and ground.*
L = 8.5 uh
C = 67.6 pf

Not sure what L network configuration you used, but does it sound like I
closely replicated what you have based upon one of the above mentioned L
network configurations?  If not, then please better describe your
configuration.

Please advise so we can better answer your question, and hopefully I have
not messed something up with my quick analysis/approximation.

Don (wd8dsb)