Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 158, Issue 20

Dave Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Feb 24 13:47:44 EST 2016

Hello Les,
I worked A35T on Tuesday morning after VY2ZM, then K8PO, then K1CP.  I live
in Maine, as do K8PO, K1UO, and K1CP, who are all in a line northeast of me.
K1UO was listening and heard them FB and did not call, but the peak was
rolling across the state so that when they were working A35T, I did not hear
the DX. Only when it faded for K1UO, did A35T pop out of the noise here and
was Q5 for about 10 or 15 minutes. They faded three minutes after my
sunrise.  I know that K4SV and NO3M worked them that morning also. NO3M said
the Sunrise bump was slight at 339 for just a couple minutes.
    This morning (Wednesday) I listened and heard A35T for about 4 minutes
just before my sunrise at maybe 339. That was it! K1UO heard them as well.
Many others in the Northeast got skunked, hearing nothing. Nobody called. I
doubt that I could have worked them this morning. Copy was up and down. It
would have been a lucky contact for sure.
    I did note a second peak on Tuesday, about an hour before my sunrise.
A35T peaked up out of the noise around the 10:15 UT time frame for about 30
minutes, with weak copy, but I did get the full call sign along with many
CQs and "UP" "UP", so I know it was definitely them. They were too weak for
me to call with confidence that I would hear what they would send back! They
faded down about 10:40 UT and re appeared at about 11:20 UT when they were
Q5.
    Good Luck to all!

Dave K1WHS