Topband: Am I the only one in step?

Charlie weeksmgr at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 29 16:05:11 EST 2016

The ET7L operation is not a normal dxpedition.  The guys are in ET land working.  They have limited time to operate during their nights on 160M because of their work sked.  Thus, they are focusing during weekends on Topband/80M.    They are interested in working folks on 160 and I was grateful and surprised they would tackle this during the CQ SSB 160 contest because of the SSB QRM.

Several areas had a fantastic opening to ET7L and several NA worked a new one despite the contest QRM.   Thanks to JC N4IS for asking ZF2AM to give a clear spot, which he politely did.   After that, the CW pileup seemed to be obvious enough to the contesters that most folks avoided the frequency, at least until the prop faded and the pileup diminished.

The contest being on likely diminished the number of folks who were in the ET7L pileup, thus making it easier for folks who were hearing the DX to get through.   With the prop we had, the pileup would have been much more intense if the contester/DXers were in the chase.

I was a happy camper to get this one on Topband.   The SSB contesters had fun doing their thing.   I used to play around in contests but now only pass out an occasional multiplier (WV).

It is all good.

73 Charlie N8RR