Topband: Using shielded CAT5 data cable as feedline for active antenna; benefits of multi-turn K9AY loop/SAL/etc?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Jan 2 10:45:43 EST 2016

I was recently reading a web page by LZ1AQ
<http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/>.  It is full of fascinating data and
design equations for the use of small magnetic loop antennas.  There
were two points, in particular, that caught my layman's attention:

1.  He recommends using shielded CAT5 data cable with RJ-45 connectors
as feedline.  The obvious advantage is having three pairs left over for
voltage supply and control.  See
<http://active-antenna.eu/amplifier-kit/> for more information.

2.  He cites experimental data showing that coplanar crossed loops and
multi-turn quad loops both offer very significant improvement in the
recovered signalcompared with a single loop.  See
<http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/experimental-comparison-v10.pdf> to
check whether I got this right. Anyway, it occurred to me to ask if
anyone has ever tried multiturn K9AY, SAL or flag/pennant receiving
antennas, and did you see something similar?

Any other critiques of his design would be appreciated.  The price is
certainly right, and the construction looks good. A couple of 1-meter
coplanar loops wouldn't be at all hard to construct.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at