Topband: Using shielded CAT5 data cable as feedline for active antenna; benefits of multi-turn K9AY loop/SAL/etc?

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sat Jan 2 12:03:26 EST 2016

I did some tests a few years ago on unshielded CAT6  (UTP) cable. The
twisted pairs in the cable are rated at 100 ohm nominal impedance, so I
paralleled two sets of twisted pairs together and measured their VSWR.
Surprisinlgy I found the cable handled 100W at 20m, with negligible VSWR.  I
thought about using the CAT6 for the feedline of portable antennas, but
found that the noise pickup was very high. To do this properly (which I
didn't do in my esperiement)  one would use a simple 1:2
unbalanced-to-balanced balun for a single twisted pair, as well as STP
cable, but I don't see any problems doing so.
73,
Jim W8ZR

http://pa3csg.hoeplakee.nl/joomla25/index.php/rf-construction/115-0-10-mhz-r
eceive-over-