Topband: Stew Beef

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 3 23:18:19 EST 2016

On Sun,1/3/2016 11:02 AM, K4OWR wrote:
> I've never noticed any amount of activity, specifically on 160, on a
> non contest weekend, that would be impacted since there typically is
> hardly any...again, specifically on 160 meters.

There's a segment about 5 kHz wide that is quite active 7 nights a week
with three of K1JT's digital modes -- WSPR (the one-way propagation
monitor), JT65 and JT9, both of which are used for 2-way, weak signal
work. The segment runs from about 1838 kHz to about 1843 kHz. On a
typical evening, there's more JT65 and JT9 activity in that 5 kHz than
in the rest of the band combined. Contests make a mess of that segment,
just as they do with comparable segments in the HF bands. I occasionally
use JT65 and JT9 when I'm not contesting. They have their uses, require
different skills, and can be fun.

But I view contests exactly as Tree has articulated -- they tend to make
it easier to work DX because there's much more DX on the air, and it's
often possible to work contest expeditions on the days before and after.

73. Jim K9YC