Topband: W1BB

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Thu Jan 7 11:19:22 EST 2016

I'd like to thank everyone for their really helpful on & off list
replies to my question about W1BB, no, not K1BB... :) I'm not as
accurate as I remember being before... ;)

I'm a relative active newcomer to Top Band, getting on from this
location in 07 and it took till 2010 to get the sloper and radials
down, 2012 before getting the HI-Z triangular. Before that I was on
for only one year, in 94 when I had a 110' tower in Illinois and made
a shortened delta for 160, center base fed and ran that from the
tower and adjusted the frequency by a Vac Variable controlled by
servos. But that was it.

I'd heard so much about Stew Perry, the contest. Someone once sent a
link to a photo of the water tower in MA but I had no idea of what
the significance was and all the discussion here has been for the
most part about the contest as most everyone here already knew about
the man himself & why the contest was named for him. I never bothered
to ask and just let it go by as another contest & I am more a
contester & DXer than a ragchewer though a good ragchew always makes
for a good day.

Thanks for the info about Jeff's book, DXing on the edge. I just
ordered it this morning from Universal Radio using the link Jim K1PX
provided. As was suggested, Amazon had it as well but used which is
fine but for a bit more, I bought a new one.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/books/3716.html

I don't read that easily any more, had shingles of some of the
cranial nerves last year (Ramsay Hunt) and it's affected my ability
to readily focus up close, among other things but I'm looking forward
to going through this apparently very substantial book, cover to
cover.

Thanks again for the abundance of great replies and links.

73 & HNY,

Gary
KA1J