Topband: RE; Ground screen Question

Robert Harmon k6uj at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 12 15:37:15 EST 2016

Dave,

I see your point.  I wouldn't want to chance damaging the concrete.
I am not thinking of attaching to the tower with it however,  I am
thinking of it
as a ground screen and actually adding more welded wire mesh also at
about a 15 foot radius
around the base of the tower which would be connected to the slab mesh.
The ground screen would not be
attached to the tower and will help with near field losses from the
shunt feed tower.  What I am thinking of
for radials is 4 elevated radials at 14 to 16 foot above ground. This
height works well with my trees, etc on
the property.  Radials will not connected and completely independent of
the ground screen.  I don't have a huge lot so the radials will have to
be bent at 90 degrees when they approach the property lines.  Not ideal
but I'm hoping with a little help from the ground screen I will have a
decent signal.  I did an exploratory hole
in the concrete slab and the 6x6x no 8 wire grid is like new, no rust.
I guess the concrete preserves it.
I have two 8 foot wide by 70 foot long runs of the welded wire mesh
imbedded in the parking slab.  I will make
sure each of the two runs is electrically tied together.  So what I will
end up with my proposed ground screen is wire mesh ground screen
extending out from the base of the tower with a 15 foot radius and it
will attach to the adjacent 15 foot by 70 slab ground screen.  I figure
why not use the 15 x 70 slab too if doable ? Sound OK ? Any other ideas
suggestions ?  I appreciate the input guys !

Bob
K6UJ