Topband: strange propagation

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 15 20:35:23 EST 2016

 A very interesting interpretation of the FCC regs by a former FCC official.
Whether a liability lawyer would agree with him is debatable in my opinion.
Just like a bartender can be liable for serving drinks to an obviously drunk
person who then goes off and kills someone in a driving accident, so would
station owners who stand by and hear of illegal use of their equipment and
"relinquished" station license on a repeat basis.  In my opinion.

I have no issue with "Remote Ham Radio" as a company nor the technology use
for the purposes.  Unlike others, my DXCC is not affected by shortcuts
others take to achieve it.  I know what I do for mine and sleep well at
night.

However - I don't believe that the liability of allowing internet users to
use our stations is "settled law".  And some people may be in for a
surprise.

And before Lou says I called it illegal, Ididn't.  I said the LIABILITY of
your equipment being repeatedly used to break the law has NOT been settled
in my opinion.  The test case will certainly not be my station.  Be careful
if its yours.

Ed  N1UR