Topband: Pulling out the weak ones

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jan 30 14:17:29 EST 2016

Great advice, Dave. I was lucky enough to learn that many years ago in
one of my first Topband contests from Chicago where I had a very
mediocre antenna farm. Someone told me he had to figure out which RX
antenna to use for me. That's how I worked you and Toni -- I gave you
enough calls to let you find me.

I too am frustrated by those who equate QRP with wet string antennas. I
have three serious TX verticals for 160M, two of them full size quarter
waves, and a top-loaded Tee with 100 ft vertical. All three have a few
dB of directivity (to 70 degrees, 200 degreees, and 300 degrees).  And I
have a pair of reversible Beverages.

I'm also bummed by guys who should know better calling automated CQs
with not enough listening time in between for me to send my call once.
Obviously they're not switching RX antennas. If they even HAVE RX antennas.

73, Jim K9YC