Topband: VANISHING SUNSPOTS (http://spaceweather.com/)

Kevin Stover kevin.stover at mediacombb.net
Sun Jun 5 15:50:21 EDT 2016

I did a general Google search on the Maunder minimum and clicked on the
Wikipedia page describing the phenomena.
Looking at some of the references for that article leads me to believe
what I do. if cycle 25 turns out to be as bad, or as predicted, worse
than cycle 24, then I think that strongly suggests it.

If I read the reference material correctly there have never been two low
cycles in a row except during the Maunder minimum back in 1645 to 1715.
Surprisingly pretty good sunspot data was kept by several people
including Cassini. From 1610 to 1680 less than 10 sunspots per year was
a regular occurrence. Twice during that time no sunspots were observed
for an entire year.  They did extrapolate those dismal numbers and did
find an 11 year maxima in the years 1676, 1684, 1695, 1705 and 1716 but
they were very low.

One stat really grabbed me. During the minimum in the 28 year period
between 1672 and 1699 there were 50 sunspots total. That's not a week or
a month but two 11year cycles worth. During modern times we would expect
to see 40-50K during a like 28 year period.

Cycle 24 may not be the predictor of a new Maunder Minimum, other than
how fast we are sliding down the backside. It seems faster to me. Cycle
25 is probably going to be the proof one way or the other.

Here is the Wikipedia Link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H