Topband: FT-1000MP

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Wed Jun 15 11:29:49 EDT 2016

Hi Kip,

Your question involves perhaps the most frequently misunderstood
aspect of FT-1000MP receiver operation, a result of the poorly
written description of Menu 8-4 on page 91 of the operating
manual . A much better description and illustration of pre-amplifier
selection menu 8-4 and the IPO front panel push button appears
on page 30 of the operating manual.

Two controls must be properly set to optimize FT-1000MP receiver
front-end performance on 160, 80 and 40 meters: Attenuator and
IPO. When IPO is enabled, it bypasses the pre-amplifier selected
by Menu 8-4.

The FT-1000MP has three pre-amplifiers:
- a 1.8 - 7 MHz pre-amplifier ( IPO should be enabled when
operating on 160, 80 and 40 meters to bypass this pre-amplifier)
- a pre-amplifier with excellent sensitivity on 24 and 28 MHz
- a wideband ( FLAT ) pre-amplifier with very poor 28 MHz sensitivity

The front panel IPO pushbutton bypasses the pre-amplifiers entirely,
feeding the antenna directly into the first mixer. I always enable
IPO when operating on 160, 80 and 40 meters.

The Attenuator should be set to the highest setting while providing
acceptable receiver sensitivity. I almost always set the attenuator
to 18 dB when operating on 160 meters.

I always set Menu 8-4 to TUNED , allowing the FT-1000MP to
automatically select the proper pre-amplifier for 12 and 10 meters,
I never use the 1,8-7 MHz preamplifier because I always enable
IPO when operating on those bands and I never set Menu 8-4 to FLAT .

73
Frank
W3LPL