Topband: folded umbrella for 160 meter

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Jun 17 10:10:09 EDT 2016

Problem with the "folded umbrella" on 160 is that when the angle of
declivity is to acute serious cancellation takes place.  Also the feed
of such an antenna is sometimes is very complex.  I think this style of
antenna has faded from popularity since the Marconi "T" is so much
easier to construct.  All you need is to 50-60 foot poles, preferably
wooden or just trees 120 feet apart or more with a top wire of 120 feet
fed exactly with a drop wire in the center.  This is far easier to
construct and relatively easy to feed. Aesthetically it look better and
depending on the wire size it can be made to be practically invisible
from a distance.  As in either case a good ground system is very important.