Topband: Comments on High Performance RX Antennas for a Small Lot (Webinar)

JC n4is at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 13:11:04 EST 2016

Hi Frank

I agree with you. I'm near Fort Lauderdale in a city lot, directivity  from
my Vertical WF did help me a lot on 160, some rare DX like 4W6 was possible
only direct and using the vertical WF. 9M0 first time was also direct  using
the VWF but next year 9M4 was only possible to work using my HWF long path
SSW. 80 and 40m is very easy from here ,over 300 using only a R7 for TX on
40m and tuning my 160m TX antenna on 80m, not all the time, it is hard to
tune it.

The noise around me is increasing every year and I am not using my VWF
anymore, only the HWF( 11.5) dB RDF) due horizontal polarization the HWF
rejects most of the city noise. I tuned the HWF for maximum rejection of
vertical signal and the size is just big enough so I can hear some man made
noise, It is not tuned for maximum RDF(12 dB) or F/B.

My average noise here during the day is  around -85dBm, a rural location
noise can be as low as -125 dBm, all 500 Hz BW. It is a 40 dBm  more noisy.

My 160m station is on my back yard, 150Ft x 50Ft , including the 64 radials
in between  25 Ft (70%) to 120 Ft (30%). Doug NX4D QTH is only 1/5 of an
acre for his WF and TX vertical. We are getting close to 300 countries on
160m, Doug is 298 and I'm 283 now.

Regards
JC