Topband: WWROF Webinar - High Performance RX Antennas for a Small Lot

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 5 20:21:23 EST 2016

Great presentation!  It inspires a question about detuning a vertical:

The goal is to reduce noise and any pattern distortion in my receive 4
sq (DXEng) which is about 200' from my transmit vertical.

My 160m transmit antenna is a 75' vertical T with 8x 125' radials 8-10'
above ground.  I've positioned the radials a bit asymmetrical to
maximize separation to the 4sq.  I can detune the antenna to a 2.3Mhz
resonance with a 300pf series capacitor.  Is that sufficient or do I
need to do something to the radials?   Is there a better way to detune it?

The 4sq shows excellent directivity on 80m, 5+ S units on a 756PIII.
With a 70' baseline I expect less directivity on 160m but not nada which
seemed the case in the SSB contest last week.

Grant KZ1W