Topband: Low band antenna project questions

mstangelo at comcast.net mstangelo at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 09:49:12 EST 2016

Gary,

I have an inverted L similar to this setup and it does a decent job on 160 through 20 meters.

I put up an inverted L supported in trees because it fit he backyard layout. It is 5/16 long with a 50-55 foot vertical component.

I have 30 radials 70 feet long and 4 130 foot radials because this is what it into the yard.

I only run 100 watts and use an MFJ-929 autotuner.

I first started out with a 160 meter dipole at 50 feet and this inverted L performs much better.

I use one set of halyards for the supports over the trees and a second set of pulleys to support the L.  The L support lines have wood stump counterweights to allow for sway. I can easily lower the inverted L to prepare for a major storm.

Good luck with the installation.

Mike N2MS