Topband: FW: UN-REAL AND THE REAL WORLD 2016 FOR HAM RADIO

JC n4is at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 10:04:12 EST 2016

Hi Don

>>Because it's amplitude is time varying, aluminum or any other metal can provide an effective shield based on the skin effect principal (you just have to factor in the resistivity of the material and operating frequency to determine how thick the material must be to become an effective shield).<<

I think my preamplifier does not agree much with that. My PC LCD monitor screen was causing several noises I could hear on 160m and actually I could see them  on the SDR waterfall. When I put the preamp inside a galvanized steel box all that crap coming from my PC and PC LCD monitor just vanished, the box was open in one side and not grounded.

The preamp was inside a TIM PLATE BOX used for EME shield with feedthrough capacitor and chokes, but the steel galvanized box improved the shield a lot.

1.8 MHz is quite a different band.

73’s

JC

N4IS