Topband: A 160m Noise problem

Lee STRAHAN k7tjr at msn.com
Sat Mar 12 15:24:29 EST 2016

  Greeting top-banders and Ed,
   You could simply disconnect the elements from your Hi-Z amps at each
element. This will tell you if the noise is being generated in the system or
coming in the air.
My guess from experience something some distance from you is following your
power wires.
Good luck
Lee   K7TJR

Hello Topbanders

I would like to explain my noise issue to get opinions on search and Destroy

This noise is covering the 160m band only, 80m is good ! I'm using a HI-Z
receive 4 SQ and the NW direction is as quiet can be . All other directions
are noisy with the NE being the worst , SE almost as bad and
SW is somewhat OK.   The noise starts at 1780 Khz and rises quickly to
its peak at 1820 Khz ! from there the noise levels off to 1880 Khz and
slowly drops to nothing at 2070 Khz ! Wish I could post a screen shot of my
panadapter for y'all to see, I'll be happy to send JPG file off list !
I was thinking maybe water in the RG6 and with the Bias T the Hi-Z uses,
this may be my problem but disconnecting and testing all the coax  using the
20meg scale ... all checks good ! I may replace the RG6 anyway but thinking
of running a beverage at 165 degrees and see if the noise is still there .
Was going to run the beverage anyway in hope of hearing Heard Is .
At first I was thinking power line noise , I checked for noise using a
144Mhz AM receiver and 3 el yagi . I did find some noise to my NE but gone
today after the big rain . 160m noise is still with me!

Now I have parts ordered to build a small 160 loop . With that and my K3
I'll move to different locations and see how that works out .

Yes I have unplugged everything in the house and no switching supply's that
we leave plugged in . With computers off and using VFO I can see the S meter
rise and lower sweeping through the 160 band .

I've ask 2 of my neighbors to disconnect their elec fence with no joy .

I have to give my pasture a couple of days to dry out , then I'll run the
beverage and replace the RG6 on the RX 4 SQ with new flooded coax .

Oh and I also tried a BCB filter ..

Any Ideas what could cause the 160 only noise ?

Thanks Ed N5DG

---