Topband: Post contest season: TX antenna vs RX antenna cros-stalk. What do you do?

Mark van Wijk, PA5MW pa5mw at home.nl
Sat Mar 26 06:49:59 EDT 2016

Thanks Jim,

Our learning point so far:

Our fixed setups usually had  harmonic coax stub filters per individual
antenna.
Antenna interaction was carefully measured with help of a spectrum analyzer
(worst case ever found = -17dB)
The RX inputs often had individual BPF's (home made or Dunestar)
The TX lines always had 6-band 200W BPF's

Often the TX antenna was never used for RX and switched to GND  to avoid
noise coupling to RX antennas.
As such the TRX internal RX/TX cros-talk was never noticed.
In some other cases this event was perhaps overseen?
For me this is a new challenge.

Our typical field-day setups only have the TX  6-band BPF's
None of the other measurements/precautions have been taken as the building
of the FD-style setup already takes a lot of time and the QTH offers limited
access as it is being used for commercial workshops where participants fear
electronics and antennas.

One ham recently switched to 4O3A hardware and noticed similar positive
performance results.
Sheet metal boxes perform better than aluminium?

About coax and plugs/sockets; we are already for years busy replacing old
stuff by Amphenol or Kabel Kusch hardware.

For my Wellbrook Loop antenna I used a home made 3-pole 160m BPF with a DC
bypass for the head-amp. That was effective for the Topband contest.

Measurements using  calibrated generator ( Marconi 2955) and now the new
Elecraft XG3 (very handy in the field), together with a analyzer , or even a
good SDR like the Microtelecom Perseus (lowest phase noise ) is very helpful
making steps forward at home.
A VNWA sure can be helpful too. At least it is more portable than our XXXXL
HP analyzer.

In the field the challenges are different and take a lot of debugging time.

Thanks for all the tips

73 Mark, PA5MW