Topband: VK0EK Operation From Spit

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Mar 29 13:25:19 EDT 2016

On Tue,3/29/2016 10:10 AM, Chortek, Robert L. wrote:
> Does this mean there will be no more opportunities during the West Coast sunrise?

I doubt that -- they're moving to Spit (the other side of the mountain
that blocks their main QTH to west of the Rockies, to VK/ZL, and to some
other parts of the world. I consider myself very lucky to have them in
the log 80-20.

Just looked at stats on ClubLog: EU has 52% of ALL QSOs; on Topband,
1182 to EU, 205 to AS, 132 to NA. AF, OC, and SA are almost shut out on
Topband, with a total of 32 QSOs. Mutual darkness, of course, accounts
for much of the difference, but western US really depends on US sunrise
for Topband and 80M, and even to a lesser extent, 40M.

Few of us out here in W6 (including some very good stations) have even
heard them on Topband, and were really hoping for Spit to get us in the
log.

73, Jim K9YC