Topband: 2 wire BOG antenna update

K1FZ-Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Thu May 5 11:34:28 EDT 2016

After the spring frost out, noticed my best front to back was at the top of the BCB (broadcast band).  The change this year was less than previous years.

The BOG wire is now out of sight, buried under vegetation and earth.   Listened while scanning frequencies to a 'distant thunder shower'  headed this way, to find the best front to back.
Took off about 6 feet of BOG wire and best F/B now is up to about 1810 KHZ.

What is noted;  As the BOG wire is under more vegetation, and earth moisture, it becomes more stable.    160 meter signals have more earth penetration than higher frequency bands.
If I had to do an installation again, would 'shallow bury' the wire.  Tucking the wire just under the earth.

Like most transceivers, my bar graph S meter is probably not well calibrated. But can see 'up to'  8  S points front to back low in the 160 meter band.

73
Bruce-K1FZ

http://www.qsl.net/k1fz/bogantennanotes/index.html