Topband: Inverted L off tower?

Bob Lawson N6RW n6rw at cox.net
Tue May 24 01:06:14 EDT 2016

Jim

I put up a 70 foot tower (Tashjian DX-70) with a SteppIR DB-36 Yagi
about 5 feet above it last year.  I hung an IAC "Double Bazooka"
Inverted L on it with 3 to 4 foot yardarm at the top of the tower.  The
tower is on the highest peak of my property and none of the pine trees
are high enough to run the "horizontal" part of the L horizontally, so
it slopes around 45 degrees.  I also run my Yagi coax and control lines
down an 18 inch yardarm that is 120 degrees away from the Inv. L in the
horizontal plane. Some of the radials are 135 feet long, but most of
them are 70 feet.  The IAC "Double Bazooka" design is quite broadband
(less than 2:1 from 1.8 to 2.0 MHz) - similar to a cage design.  It's
SWR is lowest when I set the SteppIR DB-36 to the low end of 80 meters.

The antenna gets out pretty well.  I get good reports from Europe from
here in Arizona (even from guys I can't hear).  I was able to work 74
countries in my first year on 160 with this antenna - including some of
the major DXpeditions we had this year.  I hope to have a Hi-Z 4-square
RX antenna up in time for next season, so I'll be able to hear more
people that can hear me, but I currently have no plans to change the TX
antenna.

73 de Bob N6RW