Topband: 160 m inverted L

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 01:20:55 EST 2016

Hi Wes,

The issue here is that he is not over resonant radials and a balun which
would likely call for what you suggest.

He's over an FCP roughly 130 ohms capacitive reactance and a true
transformer which has normal residual inductance. Horizontal plus vertical
from 140' to 155' is common for L/FCP cut for R=50 and X=whatever often
corrected by a series cap. This extra length has the performance advantage
of improving RF current density up high on the vertical wire.

When an L and counterpoise are very efficient the ground
characteristics and surroundings can "pull" the particulars. That is why
the sweet length is a range instead of a singular value.

73, Guy K2AV

On Monday, November 7, 2016, Wes Attaway (N5WA) <wesattaway at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> I haven't run any numbers but it seems like you should just shorten the
> horizontal wire (resonance freq is too low).  I would go back to about 65'
> horizontal.  Somewhere in the range of 60' to 70' you should get close
> enough.

> Wes Attaway (N5WA)
> (318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
> Computer/Cellphone Forensics