Topband: 160 m inverted L

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:58:25 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no idea what a "FCP" is, but it doesn't matter.
>
> 1.  An inverted L is an _unbalanced_ antenna.  Therefore you don't need a
> balun.

An FCP is a Folded Counterpoise. Basically, it's an elevated radial for
160m ops without room for a proper radial system.
http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2012-07/msg00413.html

And we can use FAR fewer radials if we elevate them.
lists.contesting.com/_topband/2007-11/msg00248.html

And elevated radials require a good common-mode choke. This page links to
what I used, though K9YC's design called for another core and another turn
or two.
www.w0btu.com/160_meters.html#inv-l_antenna

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com