Topband: FW: Hi-Z Around Trees

daraymond at iowatelecom.net daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Mon Nov 14 09:28:36 EST 2016

I have done similar tests with my Hi-Z 8 circle 160m array and agree with
Lee's assessment.  My test were based on over the air received signal levels
on individual elements.  (There are more uncontrollable variations in this
method as opposed to using C measurements, which is better).  My array uses
26' elements with one element being very close to various tree branches
(mainly oak and elm) that had grown close over the past few years.  The
branches were close enough that, under certain wind conditions, they
actually lightly brushed against the element (which did have very noticeable
affect on signal levels).  Most of the time they were within about two feet
along side the top of the element.  I had a tree crew come in (I couldn't
get to them safely myself as the trees were in an adjacent ravine) and
remove the branches and noticed only a small change (maybe a db or so) in
received signal level.  I'm guessing the type of tree or foliage, the
moisture content in the foliage at the time, etc., all have some bearing on
how much the branches affect signal levels.  In any case, I think if your
foliage is more than 3' or 4' from the element you should be in good shape.

73. . . Dave, W0FLS