Topband: Epsom salts & Rx Antennas

Lee STRAHAN k7tjr at msn.com
Sun Nov 20 23:38:24 EST 2016

Hello Gary and Top-Banders,
  Gary, I would be more inclined to think in your case you would be better off with some radials laid out on each vertical the same way. Short verticals no longer than the element height should help more than trying to influence the ground conditions. Each vertical must have the radials laid out very closely to the same way. Maybe 8 to 10 radials should make a decent ground for the high impedance elements.
Lee K7TJR  OR

The earlier discussion about Epsom Salts and Beverage grounds got me to thinking about my active antennas and if it might be helpful for my situation.

I have 8 antennas (the Hi-Z Pro 8
element), the base of these acts as the ground rod. The soil conditions I had to put the bases in are markedly different from one another. Some of the bases are definitely in good soil but several of them are in such impossibly rocky ground that it took dozens of tries to get the rod 2' deep & with that, they were surrounded by stones from the top, down and there's very little soil around them.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a poor
location for active antennas like these and used something like Epsom salts to help get a better ground.

If so, did it help you & how did you find it helped?

How did you apply it?

Thanks & 73,

Gary
KA1J