Topband: Fw: WD-1 Wire impedance

HAROLD SMITH JR w0rihps at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 10 14:24:00 EDT 2016

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm at gmail.com>
 To: topband at contesting.com
 Sent: Monday, October 10, 2016 11:54 AM
 Subject: Re: Topband: WD-1 Wire impedance

Some discussion of WD-1A on Google claims the impedance is 170 ohms and
other claim 70 ohms.  I have 1/2 mile on a spool that I will measure

> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Hi Herb and all,
When I was in the Army, 1958 to 1960,, I was a "Field Communications Crewman". It meant, I helped string telephone wire.
We used what was called WD-1TT. It was two separate conductors. They were twisted, not molded together. Each conductor was made of 3 steel wires and 4 copper wires making a 7 strand conductor. It might have been 4 steel and 3 copper.
I have never found listings for WD-1TT on eBay. We spliced it by stripping about 10 inches from each conductor and tying a square knot and twisting the loose end on the conductor and covering with friction tape and then Scotch electrical tape. We could run 3 telephone circuits on 2 wires and ground with isolation transformers.
Regards...Price  W0RI