Topband: 160M Four Square array phasing lines

Jon Zaimes jz73 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 10:44:33 EDT 2016

Al,

I have two 160m transmit arrays, one a modified K3LR style parasitic and
another a BS/EF array.

The K3LR was installed in 1998 and I buried the feedline through conduit
(about 100 feet of corrugated black 4" drainage pipe buried about 6 inches)
before laying down the radials across lawn and wooded areas. I started
installing the radials in October after the last grass mowing, cut very
close. Radials held down with aluminum fence J hooks from local farm supply.
In spring the grass wasn't cut till it was several inches high. The radials
quickly became immersed in the soil. Only occasionally since then have I
clipped one with the mower, usually in wet weather if the mower sinks in.

In wooded areas the radials were put down on top or after raking leaves etc.
out of the way and then covered with leaves, logs and other debris to hold
down. Hard to find now even if I try.

I used standard solder and have seen no deterioration of the joints over the
years. But others have reported problems and silver solder may be a better
choice.

Radials were soldered to common "buss" wire at midpoint between elements,
not overlapped.

Radials are an assortment of wire, whatever I could scrounge cheaply. Much
is no. 12 or 14 insulated THHN (stranded lays flat much better than solid).
Other is smaller enameled or bare wire. I've even used old CATV coax, and
stripped out multi-conductor telephone type cables.

Only regret was I didn't put in an extra conduit or two. After adding
numerous runs of hardline the original quickly became maxed out, even though
I had left a pull rope inside. More could be added if I removed all and sent
a bundle through. Smooth conduit would have been better too so as not to
catch subsequent cables added.

73/Jon AA1K

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K
Tower climber for hire
http://www.aa1k.us/
Cell: 302-632-2353

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.