Topband: BOG Question

K1FZ-Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sun Sep 11 10:45:10 EDT 2016

Hi Glenn,

I got my BOG working very well in the early spring time. up to 8 S
units F/B.  Through the summer it got very dry (drought) here in
Belfast. The F/B went slowly down to 2 to 3 S units depending upon the
direction & incoming angle.

Last night we got a huge thunder shower and the F/B on some
neighborhood  noises are over 4 S points.

I had been thinking that I would use the garden watering can to wet the
ground, if ground conditions did not change.  (BOG length Is now only
171.5 feet long)

Bogs are very dependant upon ground conditions. I would never stop
using one though. There have been noise conditions so severe that a BOG
was the only antenna that I could copy DX on.

At an earlier time, one of my original  BOGs  had a strange  ~7
MHZ  impedance change.
QTH info: (While not the original house, the lot goes back to the
1790s  Never know what will be found when digging in the ground.
Checked the BOG length with a metal detector and found a very old
water pipe. Removed a large section of the pipe and the impedance
change went away.

A BOG antenna will work, and a BOG antenna will work very well, and
also can work exceeding well.  The exceeding well is difficult to
maintain.  A resonant circuit that variables keep changing.... mostly
from
the rain, but also vegetation growth..   A lawn mower and watering
can is good solution  for Summer time DXing.  Winter time snow takes
care of the most active DX season.

Had  purchased a MFJ-5014 "White Noise Generator" and adjusted the
wire length for best 'front to back'   low in the 160 meter band.

Posting to the topband reflector to also help others
.             http://www.qsl.net/k1fz/bogantennanotes/

73
Bruce-k1fz