Topband: RBOG installation

David Harmon k6xyz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 25 15:24:15 EDT 2017

I cut the grass closely then used DXE radial wire and DXE staples to hold
down the wire to the surface.
No need to bury the radials as the grass will grow over in a few months
especially of you do it now just before the growing season.
I did 90 radials this way and ain't seen them since!
I use a Kubota tractor style mower and have not cut a wire yet.
One thing....pull the radial out and put the first staple near the end.
Align the staples so that they are not 90 degrees to the radial....align the
staple WITH the radial so that the staple has maximum contact with the wire.
The DXE wire does not snarl coming off the reel....couldn't have been
easier.
I stuck a large screwdriver through the reel and then into the ground.
Then I measured and cut all 90 radials and then laid them out...
It's all been out there now for 10 years and the antenna still measures at
the base as I installed it.

73

David Harmon
K6XYZ