Topband: ARRL 160

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Sun Dec 3 16:25:26 EST 2017

This is the first major contest that I
have taken part in a while, at least to
the extent I actually put a real effort
into it. Its taken a bit to get back in
the game after my friend Pat became a SK
this year. That said, I almost matched my
score from two years ago when the band
conditions were for me, far better for DX
than this weekend.

I was running QRP with a less than ideal
antenna yet still managed 535 QSOs. It was
frustrating to hear so much DX and not be
able to have them hear me. I'm guessing I
must've heard at least 15 countries that I
didn't work. When running QRP on 160, you
have to go for low hanging fruit. I'm sure
it's the same for everyone.

I was grateful that there weren't any
storms happening locally this time and for
the most part bands were pretty quiet.
AMTRAK had its way with me at the Gray
lines what with commuter trains running at
that time but being a weekend made their
schedule a little easier.

One of the surprises was when K7RAT called
me Sunday Morning so at least my QRP
signals were getting up to Boring, Oregon.
The band must've been good because his
signals were truly marvelous here as well,
one of the loudest & cleanest signals on
the band and he heard me with no trouble.
If that was you at the helm, thank you
Tree for the multiplier!

Sunday morning at Gray line was really
something beautiful to see on the P3. 1/2
hour before there may have been 50-70
people CQing and then the waterfall became
a Kaleidoscope with the band packed with
people as tight as sardines up to 1875 or
so. It's obvious when the band changes and
the atmospheric noise is visualized as
color in motion, in two dimensions. If you
haven't seen the morning Gray line on a
waterfall during a 160 contest, you're
missing something interesting.

Hope all had fun.