Topband: Big 160m openings just before K index spikes

VK3HJ vk3hj_luke at barefoothorse.com.au
Fri Dec 8 18:08:54 EST 2017

I also have experienced the same as Tim, with all bands, and particularly
the higher bands opening just as the geomagnetic storm builds. Then it is
rubbish for a few or several days after.

On the evening of the 4th, I could barely hear Ken XW4ZW. The next evening
6th, he was S9 and I worked him with one call. I also worked a few other
Asian stations with big signals - not that unusual here, but a nice change
from poor signals lately. BD4WN was also booming in, but was not workable.
He was working locals and a few NA stations. Thankfully I have China
confirmed with a QSO about a year ago with Dale BA4TB.

I haven't been on air since that evening, as I came home from a visit to
Melbourne the next day ill with the flu. Feeling better today. This morning
will be running the remaining five wires for my Beverage constellation, and
will have a listen on air tonight.

73,

Luke VK3HJ