Topband: Long sloper

k8gg at voyager.net k8gg at voyager.net
Mon Dec 11 22:36:34 EST 2017

Hi Gary & fellow Topbanders...

It seems that Gary's 129 foot wire may be actually 133 to 136 feet long,
depending on radials and ground conditions and whether the wire is bare or
insulated.

I did a quick model on a recent version of EZNEC and found that Gary may
have to add series capacitive reactance of somewhere between -25j to -40j
ohms to get to about 1835 KHz resonance with minimum SWR.

XC = -40j requires about 2200 pfd series capacity.
XC = - 25j is about 3500 pfd series capacity.

The formula is XC = 1/(2 x Pi x F x C)
Where F is in Hertz or Cycles
and C is in Farads

The voltage requirements are not too high but there will be at least 5 or
more amps of RF if you run power, depending on the impedance at your feed
point.   For safety sake I would use 2500 volt ratings on fixed caps and
3KV on vacuum variable caps.    If you have a favorite center frequency,
combinations of 200 to 500 pfd mica or door knob caps should be
sufficient.  If you use door knob style ceramic caps, use a lot of them in
parallel, as they do not like high current.

When done building a bunch of parallel capacitors for the value you
require, try a KW for a few minutes at the desired frequency for minimum
SWR and make sure there is no drifting of the value of XC (detuning of the
series reactance).   Then turn off the transmitter and go out and
carefully feel the capacitors to make sure they are not very warm.

I ran 3 - 4 amps through four 1000 pfd, 5 KV caps in series once and darn
near blew them up.

73 & Good Luck

George,  K8GG