Topband: K1FZ observations

k1fz k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sun Feb 5 11:22:12 EST 2017

I like to watch channel 13 TV (UHF range) about 100 miles distant in Portland Maine. On the converter signal meter it usually is 15 to 18 units. It is good watching with some signal loss blips typically spaced several minutes.

But on 2 February in the afternoon noticed that channel 13 was solid, no drop outs. Brought up the signal meter, and the readings were up in the 40s touching 50.

Later near my sunset (2145- 2159 UTC) copied VK6LW working Europeans in the contest. The next morning JAs were working East Coast North Americans with good signals.

Watched ABC World News later, and they had a video of a beautiful Aurora taken by a traveler on an airliner.

Opinion: For a UHF TV station signal to be reflected as it was, the atmosphere must have been ionized at a relatively low elevation.

Probably Aurora is not the only ionization source possible, but it is well watching to find 160 meter openings.

Recent reports of echoes, yes I believe them.

73

Bruce-K1FZ
http://www.qsl.net/k1fz/beverage_antenna,html