Topband: JT1CO/JT5DX 160m Report de K1ZM

k1zm at aol.com k1zm at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 23:27:23 EDT 2017

Hi Guys

Having just returned from JT5DX, I thought I would pass along a few bits of information for use next Winter season on Topband when NA again has some lowband PROP to JT land.

The team installed the following 160M antennas this past month at the FARM  SITE - JT5DX.  There are no antennas remaining now at JT1CO in Ulan Bator, eg:  Chak's home location.

160M - 4 element fixed yagi at 100 feet aimed at EUROPE (I do not know if this antenna will be removed or not as it was installed primarily for the CQ WPX CW contest and it may be removed at some point).

160M 4 square array suspended from a 120 ft tower.  This antenna is switched in 4 directions using a conventional COMTEK box.  This antenna should be permanent.

160M - 8 circle RX array for 160M - this antenna is also permanently installed.

160M/80M - 450m Beverage installed aimed at EUROPE (I suspect this antenna may be removed and will not be permanent).

80M - 4 element K1WA/K1THQ - sloping dipole array - This will be permanent I think

80M - 4 square array - This antenna also should also be permanent

80M - 5 element fixed yagi at 100 feet - aimed at Europe - (This antenna may not be permanent).- It was also installed primarily for the CQ WPX CW test.

On TUES/WED/THURS nights before the contest I got on Topband using the 4 el wire yagi and the 8 circle array for RX
I had the beverage on THURS night only.  Both the 8 circle and the BEVERAGE were GREAT into EU.  Personally I thought the beverage had a slight edge - but both were very good on RX.

On TUES night I worked about 65 EU and JA stations.

On WED night I worked about 100 EU/JA and Asian stations.

On Thurs night I worked about 120 EU/JA/Asian stations (including VK4MA and 4X4DK at my SR peak.)

Tues night the call used was JT5DX - qsl via JT1CO. (The logs I think were actually on 9A5K's computer station log - FWIW.)

WED night the call used was JT5LZ - qsl via K1LZ

THURS night the call used was JT5LZ - qsl via K1LZ

The overall station at JT5DX now sports an enormous amount of firepower on 40M - 10M.

6  40M yagis (including two sets of 3el full sized 40M stacks), LONG BOOM 7el stacks on 20 and 15M, two STEPP'IR's, & many additional smaller yagis for 15 and 10M.  I think around 35 yagis in all were installed from May 9th to May 25th by S52M and RN5M who worked his tail off to complete the task.

GL to all next winter season.  Note that Chak does not live full time at the farm - but I know he is anxious to do some lowband work this coming Winter season using his new antenna arsenal!  I encouraged him to do so as best I could!

73 de JEFF    K1ZM/VY2ZM