Topband: Radials question

k8gg at voyager.net k8gg at voyager.net
Tue Jun 13 08:33:08 EDT 2017

Hi Mike, et al,

Here are my thoughts interlaced.

> Hey Topbanders,
>
>   I was looking to buy or make a mono type 80 meter antenna for DXing.
>
> I was wondering couple things. If I make a full quarter wave vertical WIRE
> in tree 65 feet tall and see DX Engineering verticals claim 65 foot tall
> but wider bandwidth. What is their secret or just advertisement?

***Using a wire - say 12 gauge - Will probably give you a 100 kHz 2:1 SWR
bandwidth.  Using a vertical say 2" O.D. at the bottom and 1.25" O.D. at
the top will generally triple the bandwidth.  Make a model with EZNEC (r)
and see what you get.  Ground losses also increase band width of these
antennas, since "Rg" is in series with the actual antenna impedance.

>   Second question, I understand more radials make vertical better, but
> what
> happens if one side half or one third the length radials due to space in
> yard are shorter by 20 to 30 foot? Is it noticeable enough to buy a
> vertical in middle of yard instead of wire in tree towards side of yard?
> Dollars verses radial lengths.

***It does not make a lot of difference.  One K1 has a 160 vertical near
his house and most of the radials are over 180 degrees.  What is important
is to get enough radials on/in the ground.

>   Third and last question, can some of the radials, quarter of them,
> overlap with radials of another antenna (160M mono vertical Gladiator
> antenna)? Would it affect the performance noticeable.

###In my opinion, if the ground radials are below "elevated radials" for
another antenna there should be no problem.   The reverse is also true.  I
know a ham with 80 meter 4-square around a 160 meter vertical.  The 80
meter radials are elevated and the 160 meter radials are in the sod.