Topband: JT65 on 160

Jim Jim wa3mej at comcast.net
Fri Mar 17 14:06:30 EDT 2017

Jorge,
I use only 35-50w on TB.  A few years ago I worked VKs and Zls  using only 35watts then went down the band a bit and worked one of the same stations on CW only moments later BUT it took over 900w to do it. That is just over 14db advantage over CW.  Two other things to remember 1. JT65 is a mode that operates at 100% duty cycle. and 2. if you use high power you are going to start overloading everyone RX front end and you will be the only one able to use the band.  I have seen one station on 40m ignored because he was using high power when it was unnecessary.

GL

Jim