Topband: Sept 12 JT65 on 1838khz...nice opening to Eu.

Art Roberts w1aer at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 17 15:34:58 EDT 2017

I my very limited experience with digital 160, I have found that I have
to run more than the usual power for such, since I am using a very poor
inverted L antenna for transmit. That said, with 50 watts I have managed
to work 7 countries, in 2 continents. And that is with limited operating
time.

73 es DX
Art  W1AER

On 3/17/2017 2:38 PM, Pete Rimmel N8PR wrote:
> I have to disagree with some of what has been said about how much power to run using JT65.
>
> JT65 is a LOW SIGNAL mode, NOT a LOW POWER mode.
>
> We run 1500 watts into 20+ dB gain antennas on 2 meters for EME.  Signals coming back from the moon vary between –10 and –29 dB
>
> Why limit yourself on 160 meters?
>
> When JT65 HF was just getting started on 160, I called CQ on 160 using 1 KW+ and Andre, V51B, sent me an eMail that he heard me –23, but I did not hear him.  The difference?  He was calling me with 100 watts or less, and I was using 1 KW+ into a full 1/4 wave vertical with 32 radials under it.   My receive antenna is a Waller Flag which can rotate between H Pol and V Pol.
>
> -23 is a low signal, even though I was running close to the legal limit.  SO... What is best, to run 50 watts and work no one or run power and be heard, even if only –23?  You tell me.
>
> 73,  PeteR  N8PR With DXCC+ on both 160 and 2 meters. (and every band in between except 60)

Art Roberts W1AER
Tariffville, CT  FN31ov
JT9 and JT65