Topband: JT65 on 160

Pete Rimmel N8PR n8pr at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 21 12:54:05 EDT 2017

I keep reading about all the WSPR and other low power modes where one person was heard all around the world.  Well, maybe on a given night that can happen.  -23 on JT65 is 10 dB below the threshold where a CW signal can be copied by ear...  and I see many signals on JT65/JT9 at that level into my excellent receive antennas – EVERY night...

HOWEVER, when a DXpedition goes to a rare location, they do not get to pick their location that has S-0 or S-1 noise level, and they do not get to complain to the local Power company to get the power line noise within 5 miles eliminated before they operate.

They rarely if ever  have 1000 foot beverages in 8 directions, or K9AY loops in 4 directions or a Waller Flag at 120 feet up in the air.  Therefore, they limit themselves as to what they can hear.

THEREFORE, we must use more than 20 watts to be heard, if no one else is calling, and more than 100 watts if there is a pile up, to stand out from the crowd.

We cannot pick the one night in 30 that has the best propagation to that location, and hope that the DXpedition will be on at OUR sunrise/sunset to get the gray line boost.

Why is this debate continuing?  We must go with the conditions dealt to us on a given night/morning, when the DX does happen to appear.

We must hope that we can hear them, and hope that they can hear us no matter what power we are running... and they are running.

The propagation gods are fickle at best.

All of you who are low power proponents, PLEASE  keep running 20 watts... that way I can work them with my 1.5 KW and won’t have you QRMing me.  And I will be quickly out of your way !

And for those of you who suggest the FCC says don’t use that much power, let me run 1.5 KW and make the contact and then while others wait, I will ask the DX if I should decrease power to say 73 to him.

Happy DXing what ever your flavor...

73,  PeteR  N8PR