Topband: 160 power

KD8RQE at aol.com KD8RQE at aol.com
Tue Mar 21 17:30:20 EDT 2017

I've been on 160m for a little over 3 years and have 115 confirmed. Antenna
 is an inverted L with the vertical portion up 60' with 60 120' radials and
30  60' radials. QTH is in the middle of the Black Hole of DX in southern
MI. I run 500W max. It is very clear to me that my main limitation is Rx.
Bottom line is if I can hear them I can work them 99% of the time, even in
large  pileups. On the other hand, if the pileup is not huge I've made it
through  pileups QRP regularly to the Caribbean, KH6, and KH7, & SA, although it
 takes a bit more time and finesse.  I realize that I'm an alligator and
don't call CQ with 500W.  A Hi-Z 8 element array is this summer's  project.
I wonder if 1500W wiould make a difference when I can hear  better.  I doubt
it. I think the next quantum leap in performance would be  a 2 or more
element vertical TX array and diversity RX with beverages added to  the Hi-Z,
and suspect the diversity RX will add more capability than the upgrade  in TX.
 I'm looking forward to the next few years in sunspot minimum on Top  Band.

Mike KD8RQE