Topband: 160 meter L

S57AD mirko.s57ad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 13:55:00 EDT 2017

Another approach could be 5/8 WL  vertical antenna for 80 (65' vertical and
the rest horizontal), with 800 pF variable capacitor in series shortened by
relay on 80, and relay opened on 160 so you could tune such a 3/8 WL L on
160m. Didn't tried by myself but some of my friends use such a aproach very
successfully.

73,  Mirko, S57AD

> I think a better option is to mount a trap at the top and run a single
> horizontal wire for the 160 portion.  This way you wouldn't be concerned
> about the 80 meter vertical coupling into the 160 antenna, and the
> complexity of switching your feedline between two antennas.  I know of two
> hams who have done that successfully, although I have not tried it myself.
>
> Rick  K2XT

Mirko S57AD