Topband: propagation question.

K1FZ-Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Wed May 24 22:14:11 EDT 2017

Tim,

Many thanks for your research,

 How do the numbers compare to other years,  the same contest ?.

Bruce-k1fz

On Wed, 24 May 2017 21:18:50 -0400, Tim Shoppa  wrote:

Bruce, I went and looked at reversebeacon statistics for the two nights
before the Chelyabinsk meteor (that would be 13 Feb 2013 and 14 Feb 2013)
as well as the night of the strike (15 Feb 2013). The strike was at 0320Z.
I specifically looked for 160M EU-NA transatlantic reversebeacon spots and
counted the number of such spots.

On 13 Feb 2013, there were 636 EU-NA reversebeacon spots.
On 14 Feb 2013, there were 776 EU-NA reversebeacon spots.
On 15 Feb 2013, there were 1984 EU-NA reversebeacon spots.

HOWEVER, there is a confounding factor, which is that ARRL DX CW started on
16 Feb 2013. I think the pickup in spots on 15 Feb could be entirely
explained by stations warming up and checking out the night before the
night before the big contest.

There was one station, LY7M, that was on 160M for several hours before and
several hours after the meteor. I plotted a curve of its strength at a NA
Skimmer and while there are a couple peak-ups, I don't think the peak-ups
are necessarily tied to the meteor strike. You can see the curve I plotted
here: http://n3qe.org/ly7m-meteor.png

Tim N3QE