Topband: CQ WW CW 160m observations

David Olean K1WHS at metrocast.net
Mon Nov 27 13:01:05 EST 2017

Trevor,.

I was calling and calling many EU stations and they would uniformly come
back calling CQ right in my face both evenings. I was running 1500 watts
into a vertical with 125 radials. I seemed to hear just fine, but no one
across the pond could hear me. I quit in disgust on Friday evening about
0330 UT,  but was active all evening on Saturday until the Sun came up
in Europe. I only called CQ once around 0700 UT on Saturday and that is
when I worked you.  Mostly I tuned looking for DX stations. A few
earlier CQs produced nothing.  Very strange conditions for sure. I
thought my antenna was broken.

Dave K1WHS