Topband: FT8 qrm

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Wed Nov 29 13:10:49 EST 2017

This is Joe Taylor K1JTs description of how WSJT-X default
frequencies (windows) are established:

"The authors of WSJT, MAP65, WSPR, and WSJT-X have never attempted to
impose standards for operating frequencies of our various modes.
Sometimes we have made initial suggestions, usually with IARU Region
2 in mind.  But the frequencies in use today are effectively
established by users, not by us.  When conventional usage seems well
enough established by the community, we have added mode-specific
default frequencies to a list in WSJT-X "

To me it seems pretty clear that if the software is pre-programmed
with a set of default frequencies for different bands, the users are
NOT spinning the VFO to find a clear space. Last summer this concept
created quite a bit of commotion in Region 1 among users of a higher
band as the WSJT-X default frequency was not in correspondence with
the R1 bandplan.

So, to answer your question Mark - Mr Taylor and his colleague
authors of a software bundle.

73
Peter SM2CEW