Topband: underground cables question

John beaumonts at beaumonts.karoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 04:11:14 EDT 2017

Hi all, some  years ago I buried a 4 inch conduit about a foot deep in my field , inside I run a control wire and a coax line RG213 to a 160 m vertical the feeder was a total of 5/4 wavelength long about half of it in the conduit, it was used as one line for a pair of verticals spaced 5/8 wave apart. When first installed it worked very good but after a while I noticed it dropped off and I suspected water ingress. An insulation test with 1000v from my electricians test equipment showed indeed a fall in insulation resistance.

So my question is I have a couple of large reels of commscope F1160 BEF flooded 75 ohm
do you think I could put it in the same conduit which has allowed some water in or would you make alternative arrangements . I realise it a direct bury coax but appreciate advice.

I wish to get the two verticals going again will use 1 X 3/4 line above ground 1x5/4 line part in conduit and a 1/2 wave to switch in and out above ground.

regards

John Beaumont
G4EIM