Topband: RDF for Transmit 4 Square vs 8 Circle Array

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Mon Oct 16 16:28:07 EDT 2017

Hi Chuck,

I have both a full size transmitting 4-square and a W8JI BSEF
8-circle array using 25 foot low impedance passive umbrella
verticals. There are no active electronics in the W8JI's BSEF
8-circle array, unlike the Hi-Z array.

While the transmitting array is an excellent receiving antenna,
I can verify that the 8-circle is superior in some situations
apparently because of its much narrower beamwidth. I'm sure
the Hi-Z array would provide similarly excellent performance.
I have completed QSOs with very weak DX stations that could
not have been completed with the 4-square or my Beverages.

For a contester its very important to have an alternative antenna to
the 8-circle array. Its 3 dB beamwidth is so narrow (about 45
degrees) that you won't hear some off-azimuth callers. Normally
I use the Beverages for receiving and switch to the 8-circle array
only when needed.

73
Frank
W3LPL