Topband: 3C0L (FCP)

Mike VE3CKO ve3cko at interpc.ca
Sun Oct 22 09:41:59 EDT 2017

I've got 3C0L on 17m, 15m and 12m but the challenge is as always top
band. I have an inverted-L with just a couple radials at this time.
Noise floor at my QTH in the city is just so high with the inverted-L
and could not hear 3C0L but when I switch to an experimental vertical
setup which right now is just a 20' 2" aluminum mast on a 4 x 4 post 8'
high with a K2AV FCP (80m), 3C0L was very readable much of the night.
Using the 20' vertical as a receive antenna and the inverted-L as the
resonant tx antenna even with the help of an Alpha 87A, I too was
unsuccessful when he was making stateside and the odd VE contacts. I did
spend too much time during time frame he was working the EU. I blame the
lack of radials.

If we end up staying at this QTH I will certainly try a 160m folded
counterpoise.

73, Mike Kovacich - VE3CKO