Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Wed Oct 25 10:07:47 EDT 2017

As a younger old guy in ham radio at 53, licensed since 1978, I am
enjoying the heck out of FT8.  It is very different than other modes
such as CW or SSB.

Why the commotion?  It takes up a couple of KC's on the band and nobody
is forcing you to do it.

It is allowing people how have smaller stations the opportunity to get
on and use their radios and a computer to make contacts they never would
have been able to make.  This is great for ham radio!

FT8 is just another form of RTTY in my eyes.  A computer decodes RTTY
just like other data modes.  Was there this much angst when it came out?

Unfortunately most old farts in ham radio don't really care if it goes
on or not.  The majority of t he ham radio population is old.  They are
in it only for themselves and most will not be around in 10 to 20 years.

To survive, ham radio,  is going to need things like FT8 and probably
much more to continue.  We pride our selves on our emergency
communications.  How many people were involved in the hurricanes this
year.  Very very very little.

People should be excited that there are now so many signals on 160!
Instead we have 20 plus responses the end of 160 is here. Actually it is
the start of much much more.  It is still hard. You still have to have
enough of an antenna to get out.   You still have to be able to be heard
and you have to be able to hear.  The east coast is still going to
dominate in the DX world even on FT8 from the USA.  The only technology
that will make up for that advantage is a remote station on the east
coast, which is a thing!

I have worked one station on 160 FT8  V31MA.  I have not been focusing
on 160 though.

Working DX on FT8 is interesting and requires different skills similar
but different to RTTY.

I have worked 405 stations on FT8 since October 14th which was my first
contact on FT8.

Every station my radio hears is uploaded to hamspots.net.   That is
pretty cool.  With JTalerts I can send a message instantly to other
JTAlert users thanking them for the contact or asking them a question.

Psychologist should figure out why people especially older people have
such a big issue with changes to their lives or their hobbies.  Every
change is bad and nothing is ever better.

The dreaded computer continues to be blamed yet everyone here is using
one to email, to log, to send your morse code, to watch your SDR, to
forecasting the propagation but FT8 a mode that takes up 2 or 3 kc's is
going to ruin ham radio?

Try it you might actually like it.  The only negative I have is with
people running huge power when it is not necessary, which plagues us on
all our bands but probably more so on 160 and the lack of being able to
have a conversation with the other station. It is easy to get working.

In the end hams have more people to work!  This is a good thing. We can
sell ham radio to people with limited access to antennas and show them
they can actually make contacts around the world.

It may not be for everyone, PSK was not for me, but I am making a bunch
more ham radio contacts everyday instead of watching my DXCC needs list
and spot collector telling me there is nobody on that I need.

Like packet I don't think FT8 is going away until there is a better form
of it and that will be the rage.

W0MU