Topband: FT8

Ian_Wade_G3NRW g3nrw-radio at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 25 11:05:38 EDT 2017

I just stumbled across this thread, and I understand many of the
opinions expressed here.

But one point that I don't think anyone has mentioned: the OP lives in
the middle of nowhere in Western Australia, where noise problems are
probably virtually non-existent. In contrast, I live in the south of
England, where electronic smog from every kind of internet device, tv
etc etc makes top-band virtually unusable these days. Noise levels are
S9 at times, even in the early hours of the morning when DX is around. I
use FT8 because there is a chance it will get through, even if I can't
hear the signal in the cans.

Like many here I suspect, I'm now well over 70, and have been licensed
since 1959. I started on top band with home-built tube equipment, and
enjoyed it for many years. But I also enjoy trying new modes like FT8
whenever they appear, and will probably always do so.

In my book there's room for everyone with all kinds of interests. We're
all in this together, and if you don't like the new-fangled whizz-bang
(silent digital) modes I have no issue with that.

Ian, G3NRW
g3nrw at g3nrw.net

***** Editor: TS-590 Family Resources Page: http://g3nrw.net/TS-590